Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rachal's Mission Story - St. Cabrini Senior Sisters Residence

Philadelphia, PA
Spring 2009

I leave this journey and continue to the next with a renewed sense of mission and purpose, a deeper relationship with God, and a determination to stay true to myself and to continue seeking God.

My journey started a few years ago with initial whispers from God…. a call to change. I felt a desire to leave my things behind and give back to God in gratitude for all the numerous blessings He has given me throughout my life, and most importantly, I desired to grow in relationship with Him. After several phone calls to various volunteer organizations, I was struck by the director of CMC. She was open to dialogue with me and helping me on my journey, whether it continued with CMC or another group. Her generous and loving spirit had an impact on me, and was unique from the other programs I contacted. I was also attracted to the importance placed on the spiritual experience in addition to the service experience. Living in community with religious was important to me, and after looking at the open positions, I felt drawn to serving at the Senior Sisters Residence.

My time with them has been so fruitful and life-giving. They each have a unique journey to share. The roles I served were as a driver, and volunteer and activities coordinator. The focus was being present to the sisters, rather than on the job function I was performing. This was something new for me. I lived in community with them, and we shared evening prayer.

This has really been a time of spiritual growth and nourishment for me. I have been blessed with many opportunities for retreat and reflection. My relationship with God has grown and formed through these, the sisters and the help of a spiritual director. I have learned and practiced the discernment process, and experienced new ways of praying. I have grown in knowledge about myself and clarified/re-affirmed my values. I now realize the importance of my presence over what I do and that mission is everywhere. Silence, solitude and simplicity have resonated with me throughout this time.

Challenges I experienced were part of the interior workings God was doing and the self-discovery that was happening. Exposure to religious life, and the terms: discernment, vocation and “call”, have led me to realize that I have not openly included God in the plans for my life. I now have the tools and initial guidance to properly, openly, and prayerfully seek God’s will for my life…the unique mission that He created me to fulfill.

I leave this journey and continue to the next with a renewed sense of mission and purpose, a deeper relationship with God, and a determination to stay true to myself and to continue seeking God.

No comments:

Post a Comment