Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Anne's Mission Story - Cabrini Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation

New York, NY
Aug ’08 – June ‘09

While discerning what to do after college, I knew the Lord called me to serve. By the grace of God, I applied and was accepted to Cabrini Mission Corps! Going into the year I was looking forward to simply loving and entering deeper into my prayer life. The Lord truly allowed this to happen.

Being missioned at the nursing home was a challenge. However, I firmly believe where there is challenge; there is opportunity for great growth. Witnessing the suffering of the residents day in and day out weighed heavily on my heart. I found myself wanting to ‘cure’ them of their suffering and alleviate them from all their pain. I wanted so much for them to know the deep love of Christ as I knew it in a very personal way.

I took this struggle to prayer. I asked the Lord ‚why‛. Why the suffering? Why the pain? All I know is that the Lord suffered. He surrendered completely to the will of the Father, was scourged, was crowned with thorns, was ridiculed, spat at, carried the cross and was crucified. Why did the Lord endure this pain? The only answer is love. The suffering was not the Lord’s final answer. The suffering is answered with the Resurrection! There is hope – there is an end to the pain. Daily, I was reminded of the life to come – of the lasting peace, joy, love that awaits all of us. What a gift! It is such a gift how the Lord has allowed me to experience a deep joy and peace in suffering. The only way to approach suffering is with love. Love is the way the Lord approached suffering and look what happened.

Love truly is powerful. It crosses all barriers of culture and religion. I will remember the Eskimo kisses with Lena, the kisses on the cheek from Lulu, writing down my conversations with Joe, Macsymilian calling me his angel, Sophie’s singing and holding Mr. Greene’s hand. Love is reciprocal. No matter how much we desire to love and serve others; love is always reciprocated. The Lord has showered me with His graces and blessings and I am forever grateful. I am forever grateful for this opportunity I have had to grow, discover, discern, surrender, accept, give, receive and love.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment